Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Why is saying goodbye so tough?

Tonight I stayed for one last dinner at the CWC because I knew that it would be my last chance to see some of the guests because tomorrow is my last day there. I never really thought over the course of the summer that I would ever be sad to leave the CWC or say good bye to all the great people there but I was really sad saying good bye. As I hugged some  of the young girls telling them bye, I could not help but cry. Thoughts of never seeing them again, not knowing what kind of ladies the they would grow up to be, wondering if this cycle of homelessness would ever be done for them crossed my mind as I stood there telling them how much they had taught me this summer.  Every child, women and staff member that I have come into contact with this summer has impacted my life and spiritual growth in some way, whether it was teaching me patience, showing me kindness or sharing with me what was on their heart. 
Its funny because at the beginning of summer I fought so hard against the idea of doing my internship at the CWC. My dad recommended it and I was so against it that I didn't even want to think of the possibility. I looked in to every other internship possibility there was. I thought for sure that I would never have a heart for homeless women, I thought that foster care/adoption/children homes were where my heart was completely at. Though I do think that I still have a heart and calling to work with children in the system and still want to pursue something in that field, I have realized that God has softened and opened my heart to homeless women.  God has really taught me a lot about grace and compassion this summer. I now see those women on the streets as women of value as they should be seen. No longer do I just want to turn my head and ignore their problems because I have learned that behind their dirty and tattered clothing is a heart that needs Jesus and His love shown to them through us.

These are pictures of Mary and Kayla. These are 2 twin girls who along with their brother and sister have won my heart over during the summer. At first I was intimidated by this family because of their behavioral issues but slowly we warmed up to each other. They always offer me a beautiful smile and warm hug every time I come into the CWC, no matter what kind of day I am having I can count on a hug from at least one of the twins. The other day when I told both of them that I was leaving to go back to Chicago soon, Kayla gave me a huge hug and then asked me if I could adopt her and take her to Chicago with me. My heart melted. Knowing what life was like in their family I so badly wished it was just that easy. I wished I could snap my fingers and life would be good for them. Yet I can't, and I get to go home to a house and then off to school with all kinds of amenities while they are still stuck living from shelter to shelter depending on their mom's mood.
Aren't they just Adorable?
PLEASE join me in praying for Mary and Kayla. Along with their sister Sierra and brother Billy. They really need some extra loving. Also pray for their mom Kathy as she leads this family on her own and is making tough choices about leaving the CWC to go to another shelter. I am going to miss them tons :(

No comments:

Post a Comment